The benefits and ROI of coaching
According to a recent ICF study of 2,165 coaching clients in 64 countries:
- 99% of clients who hire a coach are satisfied, and 96% would repeat the process.
- Over 70% of clients reported improved work performance, communications skills, interpersonal skills, self-confidence, and relationships.
- 86% of companies who tracked ROI report that they made back at least their investment. The median company return of 700% indicates that, typically, a company can expect a return of seven times their initial investment.
Research about the benefits of coaching echoes our own experiences as leaders being coached, and as coaches working with leaders and leadership teams.
These are just a few of the benefits that coaching can provide:
- A safe space for reflection and feedback, which increases self-awareness and clarifies decision-making
- Greater confidence in leading the organization toward fulfilling its vision
- Stronger management skills, to prioritize key tasks and manage time more effectively
- Increased job satisfaction and greater happiness at work
- Reduced stress and lowered risks of burnout
- Increased effectiveness at balancing the demands of their personal and professional lives
For leadership teams
- A stronger shared vision
- Better interpersonal skills
- Improved communications and a more satisfying work environment
- More collaborative, productive relationships among the team and with the board and staff
- Clarified roles and responsibilities
- Increased task completion and productivity
- Stronger leadership
- Smoother transitions
- Stronger leadership teams
- Greater organizational effectiveness
If you’re interested in learning more, please contact us.
- ICF Global Coaching Client Study. (2009). International Coach Federation.
- Coaching and Philanthropy: An Action Guide for Grantmakers. (2010). © Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, by Kim Ammann Howard, BTW informing change / Michelle Gislason, CompassPoint Nonprofit Services / Virginia Kellogg, Leadership that Works.
- Coaching and Philanthropy: An Action Guide for Nonprofits. (2010). Produced in partnership by Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, CompassPoint Nonprofit Services, Leadership that Works, and BTW informing change.
- Executive Coaching Project: Evaluation of Findings. (2003). CompassPoint Nonprofit Services
- A Leader’s Guide to Executive Coaching. (2008). David Coleman, Nonprofit Quarterly.